Limina 13th Annual Conference
Home: Belonging and Displacement
Limina: A Journal of Historical and Cultural Studies is a peer-reviewed academic journal published at The University of Western Australia since 1995. The 13th Annual Limina Conference will be held on 26 and 27 July 2018 at The University of Western Australia.
Call for Papers
Home is a dynamic concept which imbues space with social and symbolic meaning. Home may encompass different scales of place, from a room in a house to a nation, and it may either express or constitute our identities.
Current social, political, and environmental events stress the changing nature of home. These events throw into relief the opposing feelings of belonging and displacement which the idea of home may evoke.
The 13th annual Limina conference seeks to explore the complexities of home, as both a place and a spatial imaginary.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- The role of the home in society
- The home as a setting for the stages of life
- Banishment and exile, colonisation and invasion
- Literary portrayals of home
- Hearth and home, food, celebrations, traditions
- Family life, family structure, and kinship
- Homelessness and refugees
- Broken homes, domestic violence, criminality
- Human and natural disasters’ effects on home
- Gentrification and changing landscapes
- Personal, cultural, and national identity
- Temporal and spatial aspects of home
- Psychology of home
- Familial displacement and disruption (prisons, FIFO work, boarding schools, etc.)
We accept submissions from all researchers, and particularly encourage post-graduate and early career researchers to submit. Themed panel submissions are also welcomed.
- Abstracts should be submitted by the 30th March, 2018.
- Responses will be sent out by the 13th April, 2018.
- Conference held on the 26-27th July, 2018.
Please send (in one document) to email@example.com with ‘Home 2018’ in the subject line:
- a title
- an abstract (max. 200 words)
- a short biography (max. 50 words)
Each presenter will have twenty minutes in which to present their paper followed immediately by ten minutes discussion time.
Opportunity for Publication
There will be the opportunity for presenters to have their papers published in a special edition. Limina publishes a themed volume each year which is linked to the annual conference theme. Conference presenters are invited to submit an article for publication in the themed edition of the journal. Article length is 5,000 to 7,000 words. Please see the journal’s submission guidelines for more details and further information on publication opportunities.