The Hokkaido University is inviting applications for MEXT e3 Scholarships for the academic year 2018-2019. Scholarships are open to international students for pursuing Engineering English Programme (e3).
The Hokkaido University is a Japanese national university in Sapporo, Hokkaido. It is a member of the Imperial Universities, which were established to be the nation’s finest institutes of higher education or research.
Scholarship Award: Each grantee will be provided monthly with 144,000yen (regular students in Master’s courses), or 145,000 yen (regular students in doctoral courses). Additional 3000 yen are paid during the winter semester. However, the amount of allowance is subject to change depending upon the annual budget of the Japanese government for each fiscal year. The grantee will be provided arrival ticket from the nearest to his home address international airport to the designated international airport in Japan and return ticket upon completion of the program.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements
- Scholarship has age restrictions. Applicants for October 2018 intake must have been born on or after April 2, 1982.
- Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Applicants who reside in Japan are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Applicant should have excellent academic performance and ranked high in his class/grade.
Nationality: International students are eligible to apply.
How to Apply: The following documents should be sent to the program office by post by the deadline:
- e3 application form: Please write the names of 2 laboratories you are interested in. If you consider a possibility to do research in a different laboratory please tick “I agree to be considered for acceptance by different supervisor/laboratory.” If you more concise to enrol even if you were not awarded MEXT e3 scholarship please check the respective box and inform our office regarding the details: desired enrollment date, your funding plan etc.
- Research proposal: Please prepare well thought out research proposal(s). If you are applying for two laboratories with different research scope, please prepare two proposals. Please use the following format and follow the guidance.
- Official academic transcripts or an attested copy for every graduated /expected to graduate university program (Bachelor’s course, Master’s course)
If you study is on-going, the transcript should include the latest records available by the time of your application.
- Photocopy of diploma for each graduated university program or graduation/expected graduation certificate (original or attested copy)
If your study is on-going, please prepare expected graduation certificate or certificate of enrollment which shows the expected date of course completion.
- 2 recommendation letters
One of the letters shall be provided by your supervisor in the most recently graduated/expected to graduate school. You may use the format provided by e3 or any other format. Please adhere to the maximum word count for each section when preparing your text.
- English test score or a medium of instruction certificate issued by your university
- Abstract(s) of your bachelor’s/master’s graduation thesis or description of the graduation project. Plese make sure to include the type of the work, title, date of submission (or submission deadline if still under study), your name and name of the supervisor/project advisor.
- Abstracts of paper(s) you have published (if any). It should clearly show the publication details.
- A certificate of ranking: A certificate showing your GPA compared to the GPA of the other students in the class/grade, ex: 2nd out of 30, 10th out of 321
- Photocopy of your passport showing your photo and nationality
Application Deadline: The application deadline is November 15, 2017.