The Orient-Institut Istanbul is pleased to invite applications for Ph.D. research grants for 2018 and for the academic year of 2018/19. The purpose of the grant is the support of field research in Istanbul/Turkey for Ph.D. students not living in Turkey. Grants are available to support research in one of the research areas of the Institute including the following research fields:
- Musicological research on the Ottoman Empire and Turkey
- Narrative sources on Istanbul and the late Ottoman Empire
- Historic and contemporary forms of religious expression in Anatolia since the 11th century
- Manuscript cultures in the Ottoman Empire and Iran, in cooperation with the Collaborative Research Center 950 of the University of Hamburg
- Human, medicine, and society, in cooperation with the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (ITAS)
The award consists of a monthly stipend of € 1,100 for the duration of usually six months. Travel expenses to and from Turkey will be reimbursed.
Prospective applicants are expected to hold an M.A. degree in a related academic discipline. A complete application must specify the necessity of conducting research in Istanbul or elsewhere in Turkey and include a detailed time frame for the envisioned research.
A good command of Turkish or other source languages necessary for the proposed project is expected. As the Orient-Institut Istanbul aims at creating an open and supportive academic environment, stipend holders are expected to attend colloquia and conferences organized by the Institute and to give a public presentation of their research. Research stays outside of Istanbul must be coordinated with the director.
Applications must be submitted by January 8, 2018 in electronic format (PDF) to the following address:
Prof. Dr. Raoul Motika
Director of the Orient-Institut Istanbul
Susam Sokak 16-18, D. 8
34433 Cihangir – Istanbul
Complete applications must include the following:
- Cover letter
- Outline of the Ph.D./ research project
- Explanatory statement and research schedule for the stay in Istanbul/Turkey
- Letter of recommendation written by an academic supervisor
- Copy of M.A. diploma
- Documentation of proficiency in Turkish or another relevant source language