Call for application is ongoing for the TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme 2018. The Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany. Such visits will have a duration of no more than three (3) months and must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to discuss research collaboration with German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term collaboration, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes.
TWAS – The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries – works to support sustainable prosperity through research, education, policy and diplomacy. TWAS is a global science academy based in Trieste, Italy.
- DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
- Applicants must hold a PhD and must have obtained it not earlier than 2013;
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Successful applicants can only reapply once for another cooperation visit.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.