- You must be between the ages of 16 and 22
- Be able to make at least a two-year commitment, including approximately 5-10 hours per month to Council activities
- Have a passion for the ocean!
Council members are encouraged to get involved in their own unique ways, but the following items are Council member requirements.
- Time Commitments
- Commit to a 2 or 3-year term on the Council (or until the Council member is 22 years old)
- Dedicate approximately 5-10 hours per month to Council activities (please note this time could increase prior to 8 June, and decrease in the months following World Oceans Day)
- Attend at least 2 out of 4 quarterly online meetings (The member should plan to follow up with the Youth Coordinator if the member is unable to attend a meeting due to an academic, professional, or personal commitment)
- Attend at least two-thirds of scheduled, usually monthly, meetings for their Interest Group (The member should plan to follow up with the Youth Coordinator if the member is unable to attend a meeting due to an academic, professional, or personal commitment)
- Contribute at least 2 blog posts to the World Oceans Day website per year
- Translate materials into different languages as needed. This includes, but is not limited to website pages, toolkits, promotional materials, social media posts and children’s books.
- Support World Oceans Day social media campaigns by sharing campaigns amongst their academic, professional and personal networks
- Contact at least 3 potential World Oceans Day event organizers to encourage them to plan an event or take some action for the ocean on or around World Oceans Day
- ‘Contact at least 3 local World Oceans Day event organizers (those who have organized an event in the past 3 years) to make sure they are aware of free resources and that their event is registered on the World Oceans Day website
- Events & Activities
- Participate in or host at least one event on or around World Oceans Day (if a Council-wide event is not available that year or the member is unable to attend a Council-wide event)