- YYAS accepts applications from current secondary school students in Africa who will have to complete at least one full academic term or semester after August 2018.
- YYAS does not accept applications from students in their final term of secondary school, from secondary school graduates, or from university students.
- YYAS cannot accept applications from students who are younger than 14 years old by the application deadline.
- Students who have attended YYAS previously are not eligible to reapply
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political issues in Africa
Eligible Regions: Citizens or Permanent residents of an African country