DEADLINE: November 30 2017
In recognition of the crucial role of Science and Technology (S&T) towards social and economic development, the IDB has, over the years, diversified and increased its assistance to its member countries in this area.
While the IDB continued to direct its efforts and financing to capacity-building, procuring equipment and establishing infrastructure of S&T, it has realized the necessity to develop a leading scientific elite among S&T institutions in member countries through the pursuit of excellence.
- The IDB Prizes for S&T consist of three (3) prizes awarded on the occasion of the Annual Meeting of the IDB Board of Governors.
- Each prize will consist of a cash award of one hundred thousand (100,000) US dollars, a trophy and a certificate mentioning the name of the winner and its accomplishments.
The Prizes are awarded only to institutions (not to individuals) in IDB member countries in the following categories:
- Category 1:
- Outstanding scientific or technological contribution to the socio-economic development of a member country.
- Category 2:
- Outstanding contribution to any of the following scientific disciplines: Engineering; Agriculture; Medicine; Biotechnology; Information Technology; Optronics; Material Sciences; Pharmaceutical; Industrial Microelectronics; Nanotechnology and alternative Energy Sources.
- Category 3:
- Noted scientific research institutions in IDB least developed member countries (LDMCs).
The completed forms along with any attachments should be received by the IDB Capacity Development Department or at one of the IDB Regional Offices.
Candidate institutions should not have received any science prizes in the same discipline in the same year. A winning institution will not be eligible to compete for the prize for five years after winning the prize.
A first-time applying institution not selected for any of the prizes will be considered in the subsequent year for competition unless it inform the IDB Capacity Development Department of its intention to withdraw its application.
Upon receipt of the application form at IDB, an acknowledgement message via email will be sent to the applicant.