CONFERENCES ATTENDED AND PAPERS READ
- The 3rd Annual Conference and General Meeting of the Association of West Africa Universities (AWAU), themed “Turbulence in University Education in West Africa: Quality, Mentoring and Access” at Nigerian Turkish Nile University, Abuja, Nigeria. November 22- 26, 2015.
- The 31st National Conference of the English Scholars Association of Nigeria (ESAN), (formerly Nigeria English Studies Association (NESA)), themed “English Language, Literature and National Transformation”, at the Federal University Lokoja between October 26 and 29, 2015.
Paper : “A Paralinguistic Approach to the Educational Empowerment of the Hearing-Impaired students of a Nigerian university”
- The 3rd U6 Consortium International Conference on “Innovative Trends in Science and Humanities for Global Development and Social Transformation” at the University of Ilorin, Ilorin, September 6 – 10, 2015.
Lead Paper: “The Triangulation of Peace, Security and Development”
- The 9th International Conference and General Assembly of the Society for Peace Studies and Practice (SPSP) themed “Re-thinking Post-election Peacebuilding in Africa” at the University of Ibadan, August 10 – 12, 2015.
Paper: “The Role of the Media in Promoting Hate Speech before the 2015 General Elections in Nigeria”
- The 2015 National Association of Health Educators Conference, themed “Health, Security and Society” at the University of Ilorin. July 22 – 25, 2015
Lead Paper: “Weaponising Security or Securing Weapons? Prioritising Health as a Catalyst for Human Security”
- The 2015 Conference of the Africa Peace Research and Education Association (AFPREA Abuja 2015), themed “The Quest for Peace and Security in Africa: Socio-cultural, Economic, Political and Legal Considerations” at the ECOWAS Parliament, Abuja, April 13-15, 2015.
Papers: 1) “Towards Deconstructing the Nexus between Verbal Violence and Electoral Violence in Nigeria”
2) “Fine Feathers, Fine Birds: Mainstreaming Nonviolent Communication in the Nigeria Media Practice”
- The 30th Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association (NESA), themed “English Studies and the Future of Higher Education in Nigeria” at Musa Abdullahi Auditorium, Bayero University, Kano, September 1 – 4, 2014.
Paper: “An Evaluation of the “Use Of English” Examination Questions at the University of Ilorin (2001-2003): A Pilot Study”
- The 2nd National Conference of the Centre of Ilorin Studies, University of Ilorin, themed “Language and Religious Scholarship in West Africa: The Ilorin Factor”, at the University of Ilorin. April 21-24, 2014
Papers: “Language Contact and Language Conflict: The Implications of Multilingualism for Development in Ilorin”
- The International Language for Communication Conference on the theme, “Engaging Global Community: Breaking the Barriers to Effective Communication” organised by the Kulliyah of Languages and Management, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Gombak, Malaysia. August 22 – 25, 2013.
Papers: “A Pragmatic Study of Media War against Military Rule in Nigeria (1989-1999)”
“Language Change and the Linguistic Inventiveness of the Age of Information Technology” with Dr M. S. Abdullah-Idiagbon
- The third Joint International Conference of the University of Ilorin, Nigeria, and the University of Cape Coast, Ghana, themed “Education for Sustainable Development in Africa”, at the University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana. August 12 – 15, 2013.
Paper: “The Problems and Prospects of the ESP Pedagogy in Nigeria”
- First National Conference of the Centre for Ilorin Studies, University of Ilorin, themed, “Ilorin: History, Culture and Lessons of Peaceful Co-existence” at the University of Ilorin, Ilorin. May 26 – 29, 2013.
“The Interface of Ilorin History, Culture and Language in Isiaka Aliagan’s Oba Mama”
“Towards the Sustainability of the Print Journalism in Ilorin – A Pragmatic Approach” with Dr. A. L. Azeez
- 29th Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association (NESA), themed “Literature/ English Language and Nation Building” at Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, between September 10 and 13, 2012
Paper: What Does Globalisation Portend for the Future of the English Language in Nigeria?”
- International Conference on the Life and Works of Shaykh Adam Abdullahi Al-Ilory at the University of Ilorin between August 24 and 28, 2012.
Papers: “Islamic Education in Nigeria and Al-Ilory: The Language Question and the Challenges Ahead”
“From Text Linguistics to Text Typology: Towards a Pragma-semiotic Approach to the Translation of Al-Ilory’s Arabic Texts to English” with Abdur-Rasheed Ayuba
- 13th West Africa University Games (WAUG) International Conference themed “Sports, Science and Culture” at the University of Ilorin on March 30, 2012
Paper: “Winning with Words: The Semantics of Muhammed Ali’s Verbal Punches”
- 2nd International Proverb Conference in Nigeria themed “Evolutionary Trends in African Proverbs” at the University of Ilorin between March 12 and 15, 2012
Papers: “Sense and Reference in the Proverbs of T. M. Aluko’s One Man, One Matchet”
“A Stylo-rhetorical Study of 100 Nigerian Proverbs in English”
- The second joint international conference of the Universities of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria and Cape-Coast, Cape Coast, Ghana themed “Climate Change and Sustainable Development” at the University of Ilorin between May 1 and 5, 2011
Paper: “Language Change, Climate Change and The Theory of Making a Mountain Out of a Molehill”
- The World Peace Conference themed “Universal Culture for Democratic Sustainability and Peace Development” organized by the World Peace Foundation at the National Universities Commission (NUC) Auditorium, Abuja, March 9 – 11, 2011
Paper: “Sustaining Democracy and Promoting Peace in a Multilingual Country: The Role of Religion” with Dr. B. O. Yusuf
- The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) PR, Marketing and Communications Network Conference at Melbourne, 24-26 November, 2010.
Paper: “Culture, Communication and Change: The Branding Challenges of a Nigerian University” with Dr. A. L. Azeez
- The 27th Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association (NESA), themed “Towards the Codification of Nigerian English”, at Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, between November 2 and 5, 2010.
Papers: 1) “Perspectivising the Historicism of the Nature of Nigerian English: The Ten Critical C’s”
2) “Towards a Formal Variety Differentiation of Nigerian English”
- Management Solution Conference 2010 of the Nigerian Institute of Management, themed “Re-inventing Leadership in the 21st Century Nigeria” September 20 -23, 2010 at Abuja International Conference Centre, Abuja.
- The “International Conference on the 50 Years of University Education in Nigeria” organized by the University of Ilorin in conjunction with the National Universities Commission and the Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities (AVCNU) September 27 and 29, 2010 at the NUC, Abuja.
- The First University of Ilorin International Conference on Islamic Banking and Finance Organised by the Department of Islamic Law, University of Ilorin, Nigeria, in Conjunction with the Islamic Research and Training Institute, Saudi Arabia, at the University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria. October 6 – 8, 2009.
Paper: “Islam and the Challenges of Economic Development in Nigeria: A Cultural Imperative”
- The First Joint International Conference on Culture, Science and Sustainable Development in Africa (CCSSDA 2009) organised by the Universities of Cape-Coast, Ghana and Ilorin, Nigeria held at the University of Cape Coast, Ghana. September 27 – 30, 2009.
Paper: “Towards a Pragma-integrative Approach to the Teaching of ‘Use of English’ in Nigeria: A Case for Human Development”
- The International Conference on ‘Mapping Africa in the English Speaking World’ organised by the Department of English, University of Botswana, Gaborone, Botswana between June 2 and 4, 2009.
Paper: “A Lexico-Semantic Study of Ola Rotimi’s Kurunmi and Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again” with Jeleel O. Ojuade.
- The International Conference on African Literature themed “The Muse as Archivist: African Literature as Alternative History” of the Department of English, University of Ibadan held at the `Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria. July 3 – 6, 2008.
Paper: “Oral Texts in Written Context: The Stylistics of African Proverbs in T.M. Aluko’s Kinsman and Foreman”
- The 24th Annual Conference of the Nigeria English Studies Association (UYONESA 2007) themed “English in the Nigerian Environment: Emerging Patterns and New Challenges” held the CBN Auditorium, University of Uyo, Uyo, Nigeria. September 18 – 21.
Papers: “The Linguistic Features of Nigerian English and their Implication for the 21st Century English Pedagogy”;
“The Information Superhighway: Linguistic and Non-linguistic Patterns of Instant Messages (IM) in English.”
- The Faculty of Business and Social Sciences University of Ilorin Second National Conference themed “Nigeria Beyond 2007: Issues, Perspectives and Challenges” held at the FBSS Lecture Theatre, University of Ilorin, Ilorin. February 27 – 28, 2007.
Paper: “A Communicative Approach to the Prevention and Control of HIV/AIDS Pandemic in Nigeria” with S.A. AbdulBaaqi.
- The 23rd Annual Conference of Nigeria English Studies Association (KWANESA 2005) themed “Reinventing the English Language in Nigeria in the Context of Globalization and the Decolonization” held at the University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria. October 31 – November 3, 2006.
Papers: “The Phenomenology of English in Nigeria and the Challenges of Globalization”;
“The Theory and Practice of Politeness Phenomena in a Nigerian University” with Dr. S. T. Babatunde
“The Nexus Between Stylistics and Poetry: An Analysis of Selected Poems” with Dr. (Mrs.) V.A. Alabi
- The 12th Annual Governors State University Student Research Conference Organized by GSU, University Park, Illinois, USA, May 24, 2006.
Paper: “Writing Without Nonsense: An Approach to Research Writing”
- An International Conference themed “China and the Future of the World” organized by Chicago Society, The University of Chicago at the International House, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA. April 28 – 29, 2006.
- The 15th Annual African American Latino(a) Adult Education Research Symposium/Conference themed “Pulling Together: Voice of Scholarship in Communities of Color” at Cordell Student Union Building Rotunda, Chicago State University, Chicago, USA April 22, 2006.
Paper: “Culture and Language in African Literature: A Study of Chinua Achebe’s Arrow of God”.
- The 32nd Annual Third World Conference on “Development: Exploring Local and Global Change” at Swissotel Chicago, Chicago, USA. March 16 – 18, 2006.
Paper: “Multilingualism and the Challenges of Development in Africa: The Nigerian Experience”.
- 2006 Central States Conference on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, Hyatt Regency Chicago, Chicago, USA. March 9 – 11, 2006.
Paper: “Teaching without Tears: Applying Pragmatics to Foreign/ Second Language Teaching.”
- The 17th Annual National African American Read-In, Governors State University, GSU, Illinois, US. February 6, 2006.
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL 2005) 39th Annual Conference/Meeting and Exposition, Nov.17 – 20, 2005.
- National Conference on “Crisis and Conflict Management in Nigeria since 1980” organized by Nigeria Defense Academy (NDA), Kaduna, Nigeria, June 15 – 17, 2005.
Paper: “The Language of Politics in Nigeria: Conflicts and Resolution”
- National Conference on Democracy and Development organized by FBSS, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, April 5 – 7, 2005.
Paper: “The Politics of Language in Nigeria: A Modest Proposal”
- The 23rd International Convention of the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), Lokoja, Nigeria. Oct.28 – 31 2004.
Paper: “Nigerian Pidgin as a National Language: A Thematic Appraisal of Segun Oyekunle’s Katakata for Sofahead and Ola Rotimi’s Grip Am”
- The International Conference of the Systemic Functional Linguistics Association of Nigeria (SYSLANS 2004) held at Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria Aug. 1 – 8 , 2004 Paper: “Language Functions and Conflict Management in Nigeria: A Functional Linguistic Approach.”