Applications are invited for MWK-FELLOWS COFUND International Fellowship Programme of the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies for Experienced Researchers to study in Germany. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
The Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies (Max-Weber-Kolleg Erfurt) at the University of Erfurt is a highly ranked international research centre. It is unique in its organizational structure by combining the functions of an institute for advanced study and a graduate school.
In order to be eligible German skills are not obligatory, unless they are required for conducting the research project. However, it is recommendable to have the basic knowledge of everyday life and integration.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Study Subject: The program offers fellowships to excellent experienced researchers who fulfil the European Unions mobility rule and who are conducting interdisciplinary research in cultural and social studies. The core disciplines at the Max Weber Kolleg are sociology, economics, religious studies, law, philosophy, history, and theology.
Scholarship Award: MWK-FELLOWS will be appointed on the basis of a regular employment contract with the University of Erfurt according to the German Civil Service Collective Agreement (TV-L, pay grade E 13). Alternatively, fellows have the opportunity to stay in a current employment contract with their home universities under the precondition of an accepted leave of absence. The University of Erfurt will compensate the home universities for their costs of replacement as well as the fellows for their additional costs up to a defined sum.
MWK-FELLOWS will receive an individual research and a training budget. They will be provided with a fully equipped workplace and have full access to the academic infrastructure (e.g. library loan, web space).
Number of Scholarships: University offers up to 10 fellowships each year.
Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Research Experience: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience at the application deadline. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in Germany, irrespective of whether a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
- EU Mobility Rule: Applicants can be of any nationality, but at the time of application researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the application deadline. Compulsory national service and short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Nationality: Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this fellowship program.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience at the application deadline.
English Language Requirements: German skills are not obligatory unless they are required for conducting the research project. However, it is recommendable to have the basic knowledge of everyday life and integration.
How to Apply: The mode of application is online.
Applicants are strictly required to submit all necessary documents in German or English via the online application portal:
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications (Please make sure that for all periods in which you were employed, received a stipend, fellowship or grant, or stayed abroad you mention the exact dates on which the period started and ended)
- Copy of the degree certificate and transcript of the most recently completed university degree (Degree certificates which are not originally issued in German or English have to be translated. The translation has to be officially certified. You must submit both the scan of the original degree certificate and the scan of the officially certified translation)
- Electronic copies of either three reviewed journal publications or one individually authored book, or a copy of the doctoral thesis
- Motivation letter which explains the reasons for the application for the program, particularly why the proposed research project can be excellently supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg
- Names and contact details of three proposed independent external referees
- Outline of the research proposal (up to 3000 words). The proposals must include a working program and an overview of the most important project-specific publications
- Completed and signed Ethical Issue Form
- Proof of research experience: in case applicants do not hold a PhD-degree, a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent research experience at the call deadline has to be documented
Application Deadline: Fellowship application deadline is October 1, 2017.